um..

Not so SEGS related topics
chidoku

Post by chidoku » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:31 am

[quote:18bb386712=\"gustav\"]ok we have gone from this
[quote:18bb386712=\"9sam1\"]is the server up or not? theres a thing telling you how to connect yet it says the servers down? how can i connect to the server or is it not up yet?[/quote:18bb386712]

to this
[quote:18bb386712=\"Fork\"]
[b:18bb386712]The Twin Paradox[/b:18bb386712]

The twin paradox, sometimes called the "clock paradox", stems from Paul Langevin's 1911 thought experiment in special relativity: one of two twin brothers undertakes a long space journey with a high-speed rocket at almost the speed of light, while the other twin remains on Earth. When the traveler returns to Earth, he is younger than the twin who stayed put. Or, as first stated by Albert Einstein (1911). This would be used in traveling at almost the speed of light to a distant star, slowing down, turning around, and traveling at almost the speed of light back to Earth, hence traveling into the future.
[/quote:18bb386712]
(me likes)

anyway... cant we do a Philosophy part on this forum ?? right under "Ye olde home of offtopicness" i would do alot of postes there... (and it would make this month go much faster >.< )
anyway like we can c this makes ppl thing, show there theories in on life, space and other stuff.... so vote yes for a Philosophy part on this forum !!! xD[/quote:18bb386712]

I say, Yay! to this. A philosophy part is good, and it might get my mind to start working again so I can make some usefull posts.

gustav

Post by gustav » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:58 am

yep :D

malign

Post by malign » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:22 pm

[quote:62bfe4972f=\"Naminator\"]About Sci-Fi!
There are some old movies and stuff that take place in like 2010! They showed some holagramic video and stuff in that movie (sorry dont remmember the name).
In that time it was Sci-Fi, but now its actually real, they are building holografic Tvs or something right now. There are couple of videos on (youtube, google Check it out)
So what Im trying to say is, It was Sci-Fi back then, but now its real.
Theres actually no was we can say that its possible or not right now, no matter what kind of scientific explation you may give, after all like chidoku said, History has shown that "Rules are made to be Broken"[/quote:62bfe4972f]

What history has shown "rules are made to be broken"? Fork asked chidoku for real life situations. Because robots were one time fictional, there were no laws in place to deny robot construction. Same thing with CPU speed and amount of physical memory. They kept saying we'd never break the 1Ghz or the 64K memory barrier in seperate times. No laws were in place to prevent these advancements.

Also, the laws in place have been for decades... even with all this technological advancement occuring; Radios, televisions, toasters, microwaves, dental lasers, computers, automobiles, telephony, etc. What law has changed to adapt any of these items?

[quote:62bfe4972f=\"chidoku\"]when speaking of time travel, when one travels back in time, why can't the person/thing/rat/Punpkin man, just borrow energy from that "time", see it as the memory in a computer, it is consistent, mostly some is unused, then a program borrows that free memory and later on goes back to just use memory on the harddrive
[/quote:62bfe4972f]

How can you have a non-existent existence "borrow" matter? Again, time only has the role of record keeping, scheduling and measuring. It does not create multitudes of existences by creating alternate realities somewhere down some imaginary stream. That's just foolish to even think such a thing. Regardless of scientific laws here, it's common sense to know that we just exist in a universe where things change due to motion. It's just foolish to think there's a whole copy of the universe of what we knew as yesterday. Or whenever someone has to make a choice in the universe a new copy emerges. I say bullocks.

Lastly, it's time to play the G-d card. Do you really think G-d would design the universe to be so dangerous as to allow morons to go back in time to modify events? Not at all. For example, if time travel existed, people could go back and prevent the birth of Christ. Can't and won't happen, ever. The past is static. The only thing dynamic is the future by what we choose in the present.

This is not to say that time travel fails to be a neat concept. I just think far too many people are wooed by the concept of time travel. It's nothing more than fiction... good entertainment value. Get over it already and go back to watching Marty McFly's adventures with Doc Brown.

--malign

malign

Post by malign » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:24 pm

There are already enough sections to manage. This idle banter falls under the general or the off-topic sections. Facilitating the discussion of useless philosophies is not the goal of this project.

--malign

chidoku

Post by chidoku » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:12 am

[quote:46cfb19b35=\"malign\"]
Lastly, it's time to play the G-d card. Do you really think G-d would design the universe to be so dangerous as to allow morons to go back in time to modify events? Not at all. For example, if time travel existed, people could go back and prevent the birth of Christ. Can't and won't happen, ever. The past is static. The only thing dynamic is the future by what we choose in the present.[/quote:46cfb19b35]

Eww...you had to use the G-word? I do not believe in something as God, as God is only something created to put the blame on for things we do not understand.

I just like to discuss, therefore I followed this up. Also, I think you might be right about time travel and stuff, just that there is no proof of it not being possible, and no proof of it being possible.
Something I see as possible is "Time Space folding", that is that the time-space continioum (or what it is called) could be bent to make travel between two places via shortcuts, but I think that might be the closest to Time Travel one can come.

Well, maybe we should get back to topic...whatever it was now again.

and Malign, keep up the good work on the server, hope to be able to playtest soon :)

malign

Post by malign » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:30 am

[quote="chidoku"][quote:4b45234247=\"malign\"]
Lastly, it's time to play the G-d card. Do you really think G-d would design the universe to be so dangerous as to allow morons to go back in time to modify events? Not at all. For example, if time travel existed, people could go back and prevent the birth of Christ. Can't and won't happen, ever. The past is static. The only thing dynamic is the future by what we choose in the present.[/quote:4b45234247]

[quote:4b45234247]
Eww...you had to use the G-word? I do not believe in something as God, as God is only something created to put the blame on for things we do not understand.[/quote:4b45234247]

I extremely doubt G-d can be defined as such "God is only something created to put the blame on for things we do not understand". That's quite shallow. Especially, the use of _only_. There are things we will probably never understand. I have a lot of questions on the inner-workings of the universe myself. Curiosity is a human quality. The never-ending "Why?" G-d is a lot of things, but he most certainly can't just be summed up as an entity on which to blame ignorance.

It is a mathematical impossibility for G-d not to exist. For one, we are far too complex to come about just by chance. Secondly, we are still unable duplicate life, even under controller situations (ie, primordial soup.) We know what elements make up a human body, but we cannot create one from scratch. Third, we know life comes from life. Ie, living things do not come from non-living material. This is even taught in high school biology 101. What came first? The chicken or the egg? Well, the egg cannot incubate/warm itself. The only logical explanation is a living thing laid the egg. But how did _that_ living thing get here you ask? G-d created it. And this is documented in the Bible in Genesis. All animals come after their parents in likeness.

Lastly, let me point out that if this is going toward a evolution versus creationism debate, let me debunk evolution before it starts.

Evolution (macro-evolution) is nothing more than a theory. What we know as micro-evolution does occur. We can see it with Chihuahuas versus Great Danes. Both look very different. However, both are and will always be dogs. A cat cannot come from a dog, nor a chicken. This is just variation in the same species. Macro-evolution suggests that humans come from ape-like creatures. Do you find it condescending that there exists people who suggest we're related to filthy apes? I am!
Macro-evolution also describes an upward process. Thing increase in complexity. Well, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics debunks this. I am sure you've heard of entropy? Things tend to gradual become more simple over time and break down.
Ie, half-lives of nuclear elements, metals turning to lead, etcetera.

There's a brilliant doctor, Dr. Kent Hovind. He has been offering 1 million dollars to anyone who can prove evolution. Nobody has earned the prize yet. Quite entertaining if you want something to watch. Very smart too. He goes over the layering effect of the Earth and debunks how fossils tend to rest at certain layers.

It's quite sad today that so many people denounce G-d. Rebelious people indeed.

One last point I would like to make is people often ask: "How can got let <insert mishap here> happen?!"

Well, there's something called free will. We are not puppets, you see. People who rape, kill and steal, do it on their own behalf. Whether on the influence of drugs, hate, revenge, whatever. It is their choice.

"Oh oh! But why doesn't he intervene then?"

What would sin be if G-d intervened? G-d lets things take their course. "Doesn't that mean he's an evil deity then?!" Absolutely not. It is men who are evil. Daily, wicked deeds are carried out by men. Bombings, shootings, war, genocide, rapes, theft, arson, the list goes on. Our lives are a test. In the end, these wicked men will have to answer for their sins.

Make no mistake, G-d and science do _not_ clash. In reality, G-d is _the_ most brilliant scientist. He made everything possible. All of his little secrets. DNA, atomics, revolution of planets, the list goes on...

I can't make anyone believe. It is up to you and you alone. You need to decide that for yourself. People can most certainly help with answers along the way though.

Surely, you don't want to go on in life thinking there's nothing afterwards. All of this knowledge accumulated for naught. There is just something in living things that makes them different from say, a brick. There's an essence there that animates that entity.

[quote:4b45234247]
and Malign, keep up the good work on the server, hope to be able to playtest soon :)[/quote:4b45234247]

Thanks. nemerle is owed a lot more. Be sure to get him some Bunny Buns.

Anyways, take care.

--malign

chidoku

Post by chidoku » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:38 am

Ok, because of your answer I will assume you are a catholic, or other person who actually believes in God.

To say it is impossible for him not to exist is just stupid, 'cause there is no proof he does, and none that says he doesn't. I have a belief of my own, and that is the powers that I can see and feel, "Mother Earth".

We were "created" by chance, that's just how it is, no entitiy created us, that is ignorance in itself. God and all is more of a philosophy (in my eyes) that was used to explain, in words that worked at that time, how everything became. I have read the bible, and all of it can be explained in other words, and those words are something that scientists say nowadays.

To say "Evolution does no exist", how can that be true? Did we just "pop-out" one day, when there are fossils and what-not that are older then the first human (inferior being, Homo-sapiens)? How is that? God created the world, created dinosaurs, decided "Nah, these things are too stupid", killed them, created new creatures all the time killing them 'cause he wasn't satisfied, then creating man and thought "Hey, we'll see if these will do"?

I have a feeling you are also one of those that would claim "There is no other life in the universe", kind of person :P

I am not trying to offend you, best say that directly.

And I have to send GJ to nemerle also then.

malign

Post by malign » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:40 am

[quote:c62d068911=\"chidoku\"]Ok, because of your answer I will assume you are a catholic, or other person who actually believes in God.[/quote:c62d068911]

You must be joking. Catholicism more resembles paganism than Christianity.
If you must know, my views are more in line with the Protestants. Although, I choose no specific church as all of them have their flaws. And besides, you are saved by faith, not by a church you attend.

[quote:c62d068911]
To say it is impossible for him not to exist is just stupid, 'cause there is no proof he does, and none that says he doesn't. I have a belief of my own, and that is the powers that I can see and feel, "Mother Earth".[/quote:c62d068911]

It is hardly stupid. Use deduction. What else is there? Also, you need not require proof, just faith. "Powers"? Are you one of those Wiccan clowns? "omgooses! mother earth I pisseth on thee. giveth me power! so mote it be." Stfu.
Do you sacrifice pigs to the gods? You know what is funny? You have a hard time believing in _ONE_ god, but instead you believe in multiple. The irony is exquisite.

We were "created" by chance, that's just how it is, no entitiy created us, that is ignorance in itself. God and all is more of a philosophy (in my eyes) that was used to explain, in words that worked at that time, how everything became. I have read the bible, and all of it can be explained in other words, and those words are something that scientists say nowadays.[/quote:c62d068911]

How is this ignorance "in itself"? Have you actually looked at the mathematical odds for creationism? Do you even know what mathematicians consider "impossible"?

"Mathematicians consider anything with a probability greater than 10 to the 50th power as a mathematical impossibility."

Furthermore, "Mathematician Paul Davies equates the odds of one chance in 10 to the 60th power as the chance of hitting a one-inch target with the random shot of a bullet from a distance of 20 billion light years."

Even Sir Fred Hoyle, an _ATHEIST_, agrees that life could not have arisen on earth by accident. DNA is simply too complex and too irregular to be generated.

Try performing some research on DNA complexity and impossibilities and get back to us.

To say "Evolution does no exist", how can that be true? Did we just "pop-out" one day, when there are fossils and what-not that are older then the first human (inferior being, Homo-sapiens)? How is that? God created the world, created dinosaurs, decided "Nah, these things are too stupid", killed them, created new creatures all the time killing them 'cause he wasn't satisfied, then creating man and thought "Hey, we'll see if these will do"?
[/quote:c62d068911]

Actually, dinosaurs existed with humans... There are cave drawings of humans living with dinosaurs in South American Ruins. I believe it was around Peru.

You're the one suggesting we "popped out" of a primordial soup...

The irregular fossils they have found were apes, not human. Look it up. =)

Also, again look at http://video.google.com/ and search for Dr. Kent Hovind. He'll debunk your petty fossil "evidence". Like I said before, if you can prove it, there's 1 million US Dollars to be earned...

I have a feeling you are also one of those that would claim "There is no other life in the universe", kind of person :P
[/quote:c62d068911]

Why would you say that? The stars are countless. Each star is a sun for another solar system. 1 of the planets orbiting at least one of these countless stars has to have the right conditions for life to instantiate. I fear we may not come to know this in our lifetime. But we can speculate all we want on the existence of life in other solar systems or even galaxies. But it's nothing more than that for now, speculation.

I am not trying to offend you, best say that directly.[/quote:c62d068911]

I was only offended by the "stupid" remark in your first paragraph.

--malign

chidoku

Post by chidoku » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:25 pm

[quote:d9e2110c0f=\"malign\"][/quote:d9e2110c0f]
No need to put more info into the database, so I just make an empty quote :P

Hmm, Wiccans sacrificing animals? That I have never actually heard of, and I am no wiccan. I do not believe in any God, only the thing that grants me life, this earth keeps me alive and therefore I believe in it. And I think you should go check up on Wiccanism before you state something like that. Oh, and I said nothing about that thing with power, I just say that Fire, lightning, tsunamis, tornadoes and such are Powers that exist.

Math might be able to claim it is very unlikely, but anything is still possible, call it my "faith".

Well, if humans and dinosaurs existed alongside eachother I have to find that info, 'cause it would be interesting, I like learning new stuff :)
And no, I did not claim we just popped out, I might have been unclear. I think we evolved from something else.

Thanks for atleast not thinking we have to be the only life in the universe. Do you think the possibility exist that we might not be the only intelligent race? I think the possibility exists.

Sorry for saying stupid, I was a little...well, not thinking of what I wrote. So I beg your sincere forgiveness, as I am no troll.

---------------------------------

Btw. I am on the works of learning C++ and possibly Assambler, so I might just join the team in about half a year or so when my skills are worth anything.

gustav

Post by gustav » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:22 pm

THIS is why we need a Philosophy part in this forum!!