Anything I can do?

Rising ourselves by our own hair.
nemerle

Re: Anything I can do?

Post by nemerle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Aiden wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:59 pm
Is this referring to the client/server commands? I am just starting to look into the binaries and trying to understand the encryption scheme.
All client and server commands are 'decrypted', but I'm not implementing things ahead of time. When we need a specific packet, it'll be there.
Aiden wrote:
Do you already have the key exchange and packet encryption figured out? Also, is there a list of client/server commands that have been deciphered?
Key exchange was worked around by the facilities provided by the client ( server can tell the client that a link should not be encrypted ).
As for the list, I see no need for it ? The server reports any undecoded packets so whenever that happens, we can add an issue similar to this one, and when there's missing server->client functionality, another ticket will get added ( something like: "clicking on clickable things does not produce expected results" etc. ) and required packets with proper functionality will magically appear :)

Basically, treat me as an Oracle of Packets :)
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

Aiden

Post by Aiden » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Thank you for your reply. I am just jumping into this now and was looking for a clear picture of where the cox project is. Forgive me for asking basic questions. I am a programmer and want to be involved somehow. I see that there is a github of the project. Regarding cox, what issue of the client is required? I was looking into the latest i24 code but see you have some great progress. I asked the paragon chat people some questions and they don't want any other outside help, so that was a real bummer :( I am looking to get started but don't want to start from scratch if there has already been a lot of work done. If there is any documentation you can point me at, that would be fantastic. Thank you!

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:27 pm

The client SEGS is compatible with is I0 ( Date stamp should be "Sat Jun 26 05:02:12 2004" )

As for documentation, there is none for client internals ( obviously :) ), the various data file formats are mostly known though.

And to help, You only need to look through all of the open issues on our github page :)
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

Aiden

Post by Aiden » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:48 pm

I have a few versions, but links to this particular version cannot be found. I found some links that no longer work. Do you have a location from which it can be downloaded from? Also, did the encryption change on future versions?

broxen

Post by broxen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Aiden wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:48 pm
I have a few versions, but links to this particular version cannot be found. I found some links that no longer work. Do you have a location from which it can be downloaded from? Also, did the encryption change on future versions?
Try this magnet link using qBittorrent client.

Code: Select all

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:c2e7e0aa72004594337d73ae6a305242e23d815f
Encryption did change from patch to patch, which is why this version is required. I'm working on an updated README to help guide new users. You can find it on the GitHub issue here: https://github.com/Segs/Segs/issues/65
-broxen

broxen

Post by broxen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:02 am

Aiden wrote:
Is this referring to the client/server commands? I am just starting to look into the binaries and trying to understand the encryption scheme. Do you already have the key exchange and packet encryption figured out? Also, is there a list of client/server commands that have been deciphered?
The last dozen posts on this thread were referring to leveraging a simple scripting language (like LUA) for interfacing with the server. The idea would be to use it for Quest Scripting, etc.

The github is your best repository for information and where the real activity is. Start there: https://github.com/Segs/Segs

As far as I know there's not a complete list of client/server commands, but the basic communication is understood. I've been running through flipping switches and pushing buttons (the extent of my capabilities) to see if I can turn on the lights, so to speak. You can see some of that in action here: https://github.com/Segs/Segs/pull/175 where I've added things like /fly and /jumppack to toggle bits in the communication stream.

EDIT: whoops, realized that I already replied to your question. Oh well. I'll leave this up because it has useful links to current activity.
-broxen

Etempest

Post by Etempest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 am

I just want to say thanks to everyone on SEGS for keeping hope alive. I am in full support.

broxen

Post by broxen » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:51 am

Etempest wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 am
I just want to say thanks to everyone on SEGS for keeping hope alive. I am in full support.
I'm not part of the team or anything, I just submit little patches to the GitHub, but I wanted to say thank you for posting! I feel exactly the same way you do.

Nemerle has been working on this for years and has made significant progress (even when it may not look like it on the surface). I think it's really impressive and I'm glad that other people see that and appreciate it.
-broxen