Custom Content (?)

What would you like to see in CoX project ?
strangequark

Custom Content (?)

Post by strangequark » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:22 am

I'm hoping, once this project eventually reaches completion, that there may be utilities made to create and distribute custom content for servers? Perhaps something like a Mission Architect?

Example Idea:

Say you have a server with a modified list of powersets stored in JeffsServerPowers.pigg, and custom zone components in JeffsZoneObjects.pigg. Upon connecting to the server, the server will check to see if you have the most recent version of the pigg files mentioned above (as well as appropriate core pigg files, but that's neither here nor there). If you do, yippee skippy, in you go. Otherwise, a prompt will come up, reading something along the lines of "This server has custom assets you do not possess. Would you like to download these assets?" along with the classic disclaimer of "Do not download assets from untrusted sources etc. etc.". If you accept, the assets load and install, and you can play. Ideally, you could just have all the piggs together, and then each non-core pigg would require an okay from the server to run. (I say "pigg" just as a coverall for any type of asset, as I believe pigg files are proprietary.)

Pros:
  • Good for a unique server experience.
  • Allows people to add powers, costume pieces, etc. they've always wanted
  • Allows people running a server to add their own missions, change maps, etc. as they need/want
Cons:
  • Massive pain to code (probably. I am not a programming expert).
  • Means a lot of checking, loading, perhaps too much for smaller servers.
  • Huge pain to code (redundant, but probably still true).
  • There may be pigg conflicts that play hell with the game.
  • Colossal pain to code (Rule of Three

nemerle

Re: Custom Content (?)

Post by nemerle » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Actually that was the goal behind the SLAVe ( Segs Launcher And Verifier ) sub-project.
It was meant to :
1. Gather all public game servers.
2. Download server-specific manifest of client files
3. Verify the files against the manifest and download the missing/updated ones.
4. Launch the client while automatically setting all required parameters ( registry settings etc. )
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

strangequark

Post by strangequark » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm

nemerle wrote:Actually that was the goal behind the SLAVe ( Segs Launcher And Verifier ) sub-project.
It was meant to :
1. Gather all public game servers.
2. Download server-specific manifest of client files
3. Verify the files against the manifest and download the missing/updated ones.
4. Launch the client while automatically setting all required parameters ( registry settings etc. )
Well, great minds think alike. Maybe once I finish my programming courses, I might be able to help on this project, or on SEGS in general.

EDIT: Must say that I'm not a fan of acronyms with lowercases. Why not make the E at the end stand for "engine"?

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Well... the name means nothing without code behind it, so we might as well call it Vapor-Ware 9000 :)

That utility was meant to provide an 'easy' way of allowing people to help SEGS, using their c#/java/ruby/whatever skills.

strangequark

Post by strangequark » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:33 pm

nemerle wrote:Well... the name means nothing without code behind it, so we might as well call it Vapor-Ware 9000 :)

That utility was meant to provide an 'easy' way of allowing people to help SEGS, using their c#/java/ruby/whatever skills.
Well, I have only very basic C++ knowledge, but I haven't used it in about, oh, three years? Once I get back into it, I definitely wanna help.

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:01 am

Actually, since that sub-project is meant as a "gateway drug" to SEGS development, there's no need to use c++ :D

Use whatever language You feel comfortable with, as long as it's possible to build standalone app with it.
python, ruby+QT, c#, java

strangequark

Post by strangequark » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Well, all I know is C++, so I guess there is a need, in my case.

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:18 pm

strangequark wrote:Well, all I know is C++, so I guess there is a need, in my case.
Well, if C++ is all you know it's more then good enough :)
I can help You out with c++ ( + scattering of various frameworks/libraries, just drop by our irc channel, or pm me here )